1862 - 1947 (85 years)
||Alice Mary Josephine Dixon |
||6 Apr 1862
| The death of Mrs Alice Mary Josephine Sammon has removed another of the few remaining links with the early settlement of the Peak Downs. Mrs Sammon died at the Clermont Hospital on October 30. Mrs Sammon was born at Avoca. Victoria, on April 6. 1862 and came to Lanark station In the Clermont district with her parents about 1867. They remained at Lanark station for a few years and then came to Clermont where her parents opened a butchery business. Thev later took up a selection at Douglas Creek. Mrs Sammon was educated at the Convent School at Copperfield in the boom days of the copper mining town. and later at All Hallows Convent. Rockhampton. After leaving school she travelled with her parents with the bullock teams, and she was the first person to drive a load of wool into Emerald from the West. Mrs Sammon was able to recount several skirmishes with the blacks who menaced the carriers In the early days, when her father carted loading from Aramac and Hughenden before the railway was constructed from Rockhampton to the West. Her parents later took up Strasburg station on the Alice River in the Jericho district. She married Patrick Sammon at Strasburg station In 1885. ana came to Iron Hut Farm in the Clermont district, where she hád resided until her death.|
Mr and Mrs Sammon celebrated their golden wedding on September 23. 1935. and their diamond wedding two years ago. Mrs Sammon is survived by her husband, five daughters. four sons. 32 grandchildren and 19 great grandchildren. Two sons predeceased her. one being killed in World War L The surviving family are Peter (St Anne's station). Cedric Stephan, Vincent (Clermont). Mrs H. M. Scharf and Mrs W. Albert (Clermont). Mrs V. Smith (St Lawrence) Mrs E. Irwin (Brisbane and Mrs N. Williamson (Mitchell). The funeral left St Mary's Church. Rev. Father C. J. Keane conducting the services.
Morning Bulletin (Rockhampton, Qld. : 1878 - 1954) Friday 21 November 1947
||30 Oct 1947
||Clermont Hospital, Qld
||26 Jul 2012 |
||Patrick Sammon |
||23 Sep 1885
||Strasburg Station, Jericho, Qld
||23 Sep 1945
|Diamond Wedding Of Mr and Mrs|
To celebrate the diamond wedding of Mr and Mrs P. Sammon, of Iron Hut Farm, a large number of relatives and friends, numbering about 100, assembled at the residence of their grand-daughter, Mrs Johnson, on Saturday, September 22, and participated in the breakfast, Mr W. M. C. Ben- nett presiding.
Pride of place on the table was given to a beautiful three-tiered cake which had pillars and decorations saved from their golden wedding. Numerous toasts were proposed and responded to and all had a good time. At night the guests adjourned to the Town Hall, where a dance concluded a memorable day. Many presents and cheques were received by these old and respected residents.
Mr and Mrs Sammon were married at Strasburg Station, near Jericho, in 1885, by the Rev. James Commerford, and they have resided at the Iron Hut ever since. There were 11 children, nine of whom are still living. One, Dave, died in early life and James gave his life in the first World War. Those surviving are Peter, Cedric, Steve, Vincent, Alice, Lily, Norah, Nellie and Violet all born and reared at the old home. There are 32 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.
Mr Sammon, who is 89 years of age, came from Gympie to Rockhampton by boat when a young man and then by road with stock to Cullin-la-ringo and Fernlees stations, in the Springsure district, thence to the Peak Downs on what used to be Hood's old station. He had numerous experiences with aboriginals, floods and droughts. After selecting the Iron Hut Farm he went to Strasburg, from which place he was married.
Mrs Sammon is 82 years of age and came to the Clermont district with her family, the Dixons, 12 in number, in 1866 in search of land, and went out to Lanark. At this time the aboriginals were very troublesome. In 1869 the family came to Clermont and bought a property on Douglas Creek, remaining there 10 years. From here Alice Dixon went to Strasburg station and was married. Both are well and remember the big flood about 1870, when the chemist's shop floated down the Clermont lagoon with the lamp still alight until the building collapsed opposite the old Town Hall.
||25 Jul 2012 |