Matches 2,501 to 2,510 of 2,510 » Thumbnails Only » Slide Show
|| Linked to
||Witta War Memorial|
||WW1 binocular case embossed on lid 'CASE No.3 PRISMATIC BINOCULAR W.H.WHISSON 1918'.|
Sold on eBay 24 Sep 2013.
||WW1 Medals Card for David Caldow Simpson.|
'by A/M auth' = by Air Ministry authority, as he was in the RFC at that time.
||Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial|
West Flanders (West-Vlaanderen), Belgium
||Æthelstan, 1st King of England|
||Æthelwulf, King of Wessex|
||_Church of All Saints, Broad Chalke|
The parish church of All Saints was built c.1280 during the reign of Edward I. It is constructed of limestone ashlar and some rubble, and has a chancel with a north vestry, a central tower with transepts, and a nave with a south porch. Work on the church may have begun as early as 1258, when the keeper of Savernake Forest was ordered to provide the vicar of Chalke with timber for the fabric of his church.
The oldest parts of the church are the chancel, the north transept, and part of the west wall, including the doorway, which date from the late 13th century. It is possible that the nave had aisles at this time. The next building phase took place at the end of the 14th century, when the lower stages of the tower, the south transept, and the porch were built.
By 1550 most of the nave had been rebuilt. It is probable that the aisles were removed and the nave widened to the open plan you see today. The north and south walls were strengthened to carry the roof across the nave’s width of 34 feet. The upper stages of the tower were built c.1530.
In the mid 17th century extensive repairs were undertaken, partly due to the efforts of John Aubrey. In his ‘Natural History of Wiltshire’ he says ‘in 1659 Sir George Penruddock and I made ourselves churchwardens, or else the fair church had fallen’. The previous wardens had obviously neglected the fabric of the church, and Aubrey took it upon himself to organise repairs.
In 1846-7 the church was restored by Wyatt and Brandon at a cost of �£1,720. Included in the work was a new nave roof, as the existing roof was rotten. Medieval wall paintings, one of St. Christopher on the north wall of the nave, and another of the Taking Down from the Cross, over the west tower arch, were removed. Water-colour drawings were made before the originals were destroyed.
Inside the church, the chancel contains much original work, including the seats for the priest and his assistant. The south transept was a chantry chapel founded by John Alan of Knighton in 1322 and is still known as the Knighton Aisle. The porch has a fine barrel vault roof and was originally in two stories, the upper part being a priest’s room. The priest’s desk and the pulpit were originally together and like the oak pews date from the 17th century. The font is 15th century.
After re-building, the church was re-opened in May 1847. Morning and evening services were celebrated, and the gentry enjoyed an excellent lunch. In the evening the school children played games and enjoyed tea and cake provided by the vicar and his wife.
This church has been part of a Team Ministry since the 1970s. The parish registers dating from 1538 (Baptisms), 1562 (Marriages) and 1552 (Burials), apart from those currently in use at the church, can be viewed at the Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre in Chippenham.
(Wiltshire Community History)
||_Knud Asmus Jessen, birth|
Tyrstrup Kirbog 1850-1871
Born 23 Aug 1850, christened, 3 Sep 1850, son of Sønke Jessen and Caroline Hansen in Boiskov
Arkivalieronline - Kirkebøger fra hele landet - Rigsarkivet
||_Knud Asmuss Jessen, birth, 1892|
or Fru Haderslev Kirkeborg 1881-
Knud Asmuss Jessen, born 15 Jan 1892, christened, 20 Feb 1892, son of Knud Asmuss Jessen and Ingkjaer f. Ebbesen
Arkivalieronline - Kirkebøger fra hele landet - Rigsarkiv
1790 - Knud A Jessen 15-01-1892 Haderslev
Født: 15/01-1892, Vor Frue Sogn, Haderslev
Død: 20/08-1914, Gumbinnen., Rusland
The Battle of Gumbinnen, initiated by forces of the German Empire on 20 August 1914, was a German offensive on the Eastern Front during the First World War. Because of the hastiness of the German attack, the Russian Army emerged victorious.
||_Mona M. Staats|
Inscription for Mona M Staats
Cemetery: Tweed Heads Lawn & NSW
Inscription Id: 8503174
Given Names: Mona M
Birth Surname: Brennock
Birth Date: 1907?
Death Date: 22 Jul 1976
Spouse Name: Frederick W
Remarks: née Brennock; w/Frederick W
Nearby graves: Previous Next (may be related) Other Sources
Photographed and transcribed by: Peter Arthur
(Australian Cemeteries Index)