|1. ||Alice Darlington was born 1847 (daughter of James Darlington and Ellen Hayes); died 2 Jun 1935, Rockangle, North Pine, Qld. |
- Birthday Celibration: 28 Jul 1932, Rockangle, Strathpine, Qld; BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION.
To celebrate tho 85th birthday of Mrs. P. J. Skerman, one of,the pioneers of the district, 13 members of her family assembled at Rockangle, Strathpine, on July 28. Mrs. Skerman settled In the district with her husband from Enfield, Middlesex, England, having sailed for Australia In 1866 on the Netherby, which was wrecked on King Island, near Tasmania. The second mate rowed to Melbourne in an open boat and secured help, and having lost all their possessions Mr. and Mrs. Skerman began their life in Queensland, and instead of opening a foundry, as they had intended, they took up land at Rockangle, the property having been in the possession of the family ever since. The late Mr. Skerman died In 1890. Members of the family present at the celebrations included seven daughters-Mesdames Bryant (Toogoolawah), Pringle (Woombye), Misses N. Skerman (Toogoolawah), L. and S. Skerman (Toowoomba), M. and P. Skerman (Rockangle)-and six sons, comprising Messrs. George Skerman (Sydney), Fred. Skerman (Milmerran),
Percy Skerman (Kaimkillenbun), Jack and Ernest Skerman (Maleny), and Joseph Skerman (Rockangle). -A number of nephews, nieces, and grandchildren were present also. A birthday cake made by a member of the family was a feature of the birthday celebrations.
Transcribed from 'The Brisbane Courier' Saturday 13th August 1932
- Obituary: 6 Jun 1935, Queensland; Obituary
Mrs. Alice Skerman
Mrs. Alice Skerman, relict of the late Mr. F. J. Skerman, of Rockangle, North Pine, whn died on June 2 in her 88th year, was one of the few remaining survivors of the ill-fated immigrant ship, Netherby, which was wrecked off King Island, in Bass Strait, on July 14, 1866. More than 400 passengers landed safely, and had to exist for 10 days on a few ship's biscuits and mussels from the rocks. awaiting the slender hope that the second mate, who rowed a boat, single-handed, across the strait to Melbourne, would bring relief. Mrs. Skerman's father was bringing with him his iron foundry from England, but all their possessions went down with the ship. Mrs. Skerman, with her husband and one child, arrived in Queensland on August 6, 1866, bereft of everything but one sovereign to contend with the rigour of a depression. They first resided at Toowong, and then at Humpybong, and later purchased the property on which Mrs. Skerman re sided until her death. Her husband's first earnings were 2/6 a week, clear ing brushwood at Toowong, and 8/ a week at Humpybong. Mrs. Sker man was an ardent worker for the Red Cross during the Great War. She reared a family of 15 children, 13 of whom are still living.
The Courier-Mail (Brisbane, Qld. : 1933 - 1954) Thursday 6 June 1935
Alice married Frederick John Skerman 1865, Croydon, England. Frederick (son of John Skerman and Maria Chesher) was born 19 Jan 1842, Hertford, Hertfordshire, England; was christened 20 Feb 1842, St Andrews, Hertford, Hertfordshire England; died 7 Aug 1890, Rockangle Qld; was buried Aft 7 Aug 1890, Lawton Cemetery. [Group Sheet]
- Alice Caroline Skerman was born 16 Feb 1866, Enfield, Middlesex, England; was christened 21 Feb 1866, St James, Enfield Hyway, Enfield, Middlesex, ; died Yes, date unknown.
- Emy (Amy) Constance Chester Skerman was born 22 Sep 1868, Humpybong, Scarborough, Qld; died 8 Feb 1950, Qld; was buried Feb 1950, Qld.
- George Stansall Skerman was born 11 Dec 1869, Brisbane, Qld; died Yes, date unknown.
- Frederick John Skerman was born 15 May 1871, Qld; died 8 May 1961, Qld.
- Percival James Skerman was born 21 Mar 1873, Brisbane, Qld; died 1959, Qld.
- Ellen Skerman was born 12 Sep 1874, Brisbane, Qld; died 1958, Qld.
- John Hope Skerman was born 27 Oct 1875, Brisbane, Qld; died 3 Mar 1972, Qld; was buried Mooloolah Cemetery.
- Maria Skerman was born 23 Apr 1877, Qld; died 17 Dec 1901, Qld.
- Alfred William Skerman was born 8 Oct 1878, Qld; died 1923, Brisbane, Qld.
- Lucy Skerman was born 30 May 1880, Qld; died Yes, date unknown.
- Bertha Skerman was born 1 Oct 1881, Qld; died Yes, date unknown.
- Ernest Thomas Skerman was born 13 Mar 1883, Qld; died 25 Aug 1964, Qld.
- Mary May Skerman was born 17 May 1885, Qld; died Yes, date unknown.
- Florence Skerman was born 18 Mar 1887, Qld; died Yes, date unknown.
- Joseph Darlington Skerman was born 1 Jun 1889, Qld; died Yes, date unknown.